The International Federation of Medical Students’ Associations (IFMSA) is a non-government organization representing associations of medical students. It was founded in May 1951, and currently maintains 124 member organizations from 119 countries on six continents. IFMSA envisions a world in which all medical students unite for global health and are equipped with the knowledge, skills and values to take on health leadership roles locally and globally. Its mission statement reads: “IFMSA unites medical students worldwide to lead initiatives that impact positively the communities we serve. IFMSA represents the opinions and ideas of future health professionals in the field of global health, and works in collaboration with external partners. IFMSA builds capacity through training, project and exchanges opportunities, while embracing cultural diversity so as to shape a sustainable and healthy future”.
All activities of the IFMSA are linked to one of its six standing committees, which are:
- Standing Committee on Medical Education (SCOME)
- Standing Committee on Professional Exchange (SCOPE)
- Standing Committee on Research Exchange (SCORE)
- Standing Committee on Public Health (SCOPH)
- Standing Committee on Sexual & Reproductive Health including HIV/AIDS (SCORA)
- Standing Committee on Human Rights and Peace (SCORP)